- 08 April 2020
The advice focuses on hand-washing and advises the public to spend at least 20 seconds washing their hands (the length of time it takes to sing happy birthday twice) and washing them more often than normal, especially before eating and handling food.
In this video, hygiene expert and Chair of RSPH’s Food Special Interest Group, Dr Lisa Ackerley, goes through the steps for hand-washing which will help you to stay hygienic and stop illnesses spreading.
Lisa’s top hygiene tips for protecting yourself and others are
- Destination hand washing - wash your hands as soon as you get home, get to school or work
- Use high alcohol hand gels when you're on the move
- Keep your hands away from your face unless you've just washed them
- Don't rub your eyes with dirty hands
- Contain sneezes and coughs - sneeze or cough into a tissue, bin it and wash your hands
RSPH's Coronavirus statement with links to information and advice resources can be found here.