RSPH and the Royal Photographic Society (RPS) are inviting submissions to flash points, a photographic art competition exploring the different health issues, challenges and risks at play throughout each stage of the life course of people in the UK today.
The aim is to collate a selection of photographs which document and evoke the interaction between different stages of our lives and our health and wellbeing (be it physical, mental or emotional).
Different environments may carve out different paths and present different challenges and risks. Different life events may take their toll on, or improve, health.
We want to exhibit a collection of photographs which chart the tumultuous path from cradle to grave of people from all walks of life – thought-provoking snapshots of lives from as diverse a range of demographics as this country is home to.
We want you to capture their experiences, and shine a light on the many faces of health and wellbeing in the UK.
We are inviting submissions to the following six categories:
- Early Years
- Young Adulthood
- Later Life
For each category, one winner will be awarded £250. One of the category winners will also be named as the overall winner and awarded an additional £500. A shortlisted selection of photos from each category will be exhibited alongside the winning submissions on the RSPH website, the RPS website and an exhibition space (tbc).
Submissions will be judged by an expert panel of photographers and health experts. The final selection of photographs will be unveiled at the RSPH Annual General Meeting 2017 in September. The winners will also have the opportunity to take part in press and publicity around the competition.
How to enter
Email us your photograph submissions in JPEG, .jpg or RAW format with the email subject: flash points: [category name].
You should include your full name, email address and phone number. As well as the photograph itself, please submit a short written interpretation of up to 200 words to accompany your submission, attached as a separate Word document. Your name, email address and phone number should also be included in this document, as well as a photograph title, if applicable.
Submissions must be received no later than Sunday 6 August 2017.
Terms and conditions
Please read these eligibility and entry rules carefully before submitting your entries. For any queries not covered below, please email us.
- The competition is open to amateur and professional photographers based in the UK
- Photographs should be taken in the UK
- There are no age restrictions for entrants
- The competition is not open to RSPH staff or their immediate family
- Photographers may submit up to three photographs in total, which may be in the same category or split across different categories
- Photographs should be submitted without a watermark
- All relevant subject consent must be obtained for use of the photographs for publication and exhibition where possible. Any exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In all cases of persons under 18 years of age, parental/guardian consent must be obtained
- You retain the copyright to your work as the photographer. However, by submitting it as an entry to the competition, you grant RSPH an unrestricted, non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to publish your photograph both in electronic format and hard copy, and to use your name to identify you as the photographer
- Entries submitted after 23:59 on Sunday 6 August 2017 will not be considered
Photo copyright: Anastasia Pottinger