- Job title: Campaigns & Communications Executive
- Contract type: permanent full time (35 hours per week)
- Salary: £22,000 per annum
- Location: John Snow House, 59 Mansell Street, London E1 8AN
- Closing date: Friday 25 January 5pm
- Interview date: 30/31 January TBC
The Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) is the world’s longest-established public health organisation. Based in central London, we are a health education charity with more than 6,500 members, all of who work to improve and protect the public’s health. Our operational activities include qualifications, publishing, accreditation and national/regional programmes.
Our dynamic and award winning External Affairs department, established in 2014, is responsible for developing the organisation’s independent voice on public health issues. Our work encompasses a huge breadth of topical and often controversial areas like drug policy reform, measures to tackle record levels of childhood obesity, exploring the impact of social media on mental health and wellbeing, to name but a few.
We work in partnership with a diverse range of organisations from universities, industry, think tanks and the public sector, covering a wide variety of issues impacting on the public’s health, from vaccinations to gambling.
We are now looking for a Campaigns and Communications Executive to build on the great work we have undertaken thus far. You will be diligent, ambitious and very much a team player, focused on achieving results.
- Purpose of post: to support external affairs activity for RSPH through a mixture of campaigns and communications activity on a range of issues impacting upon the public’s health.
- Accountable to: Senior Campaigns and Communications Executive
- Support the Senior Campaigns and Communications Executive with the smooth and effective running of the RSPH press office, including developing reactives, media monitoring, developing media lists for specific projects/keeping master media list up-to-date, and helping to sell-in stories with target journalists;
- Policy lead for areas such as gambling, vaccination and young people’s mental health, including responding to relevant consultations, engaging with key stakeholders and supporting comms activity (including preparing reactives and relevant social media);
- Support the Senior Campaigns and Communications Executive in the production of policy papers and reports in defined areas – this will encompass undertaking literature reviews, commissioning opinion polling and surveys, developing and running focus groups, sourcing case study material, developing policy recommendations and working with partner organisations;
- Assist the Senior Campaigns and Communications Executive in taking forward existing RSPH campaigns and developing new ones. This will include support for our Scroll Free September campaign, the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Social Media Young People’s Mental Health and Wellbeing and our research into the impact of gambling on young people’s health and wellbeing.
- Support the work of the Marketing team in developing campaigns to support RSPH products and services, including social media and trade PR and updating RSPH website;
- Provide ongoing support for other related External Affairs activities including social media, public affairs, parliamentary engagement, funding bids, events and other actions associated with campaign development;
- Ensuring RSPH stays ahead of the curve with effective Intelligence gathering activity, including keeping forward planner up-to-date and external representation/networking on behalf of RSPH.
We’re looking for someone who is both proactive and personable – a good team player who remains calm under pressure. This role would ideally suit someone with 1-2 years’ experience working in media relations, public affairs or policy.
You will be comfortable working on a wide range of different topics and be strong on attention to detail as you will often be dealing with a complex set of issues. You will also possess first-rate communication skills, particularly in written work.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please email your CV and a covering letter outlining why you would be interested in working for RSPH and what experience you feel you can bring to the role to our HR Advisor Emma Deady.