HPV Teaching and Learning Resource
This resource has been designed to help teachers, school nurses and health professionals explain to students, but specifically girls that:
- Almost all cervical cancers are caused by a virus (HPV) that can be vaccinated against;
- Vaccination is available (when and how);
- Some type of HPVs cause genital warts; and
- Protected sex and cervical screening are still essential.
And to provide a means of supporting government messaging, respond to questions about the vaccine and to help ensure a timely take up of all three doses.
The resource includes:
- A teacher / session leader's guide
- 3 x comprehensive lesson plans, each with associated teaching notes, information and photocopiable templates and IWB (interactive white board) lesson plan support:
- Starter and large group stimulus presentation
- HPV and Cervical Cancer: The Basics Leaflet
- HPV Evaluation Form
The resource target group and delivery
The resource elements have been written for use with students aged 12-14 years but can be adapted or extended for older students as part of the 'catch up' vaccination programme.
The Lesson Plans - and indeed the group talk 'Immunisation - What you need to know' - have been designed to be delivered either as a progressive programme or each Lesson Plan can 'stand alone'. In which case we would recommend the core Lesson Plan delivered is Vaccination & Immunisation.