The Connect 5 train-the-trainer programme is the first nationally accredited programme created to equip a network of trainers and organisations in mental wellbeing using brief advice and extended brief interventions.
Developed by RSPH, the aim is to build capacity across a range of frontline workforces to have the skills and confidence to have effective conversations and help individuals to improve their mental health, wellbeing and resilience through positive changes.
What skills and attributes does a connect 5 trainer need?
- Ability to deliver training objectives through a set programme.
- A basic knowledge and understanding of mental health and wellbeing issues
- Knowledge of the principles of behaviour change, brief advice and brief interventions.
- Skills to create an effective learning space, manage group dynamics and manage difference e.g. learning styles, personalities, professional approaches
- Ability to manage the resistance which may arise when challenging existing practice/ personal constructs
- Ability think on feet in order to engage with the individual learning journeys
- Be committed to personal ongoing learning to support delivery
What does the Connect 5 train the trainer programme entail?
The train the trainer programme is 4.5 days and will give participants the full Connect 5 training experience.
It is made up of:
- 2.5 days as a participant of the full Connect 5 training
- A half day for session 1
- 1 day for session 2
- 1 day for session 3
How do I enrol in a Connect 5 train the trainer in my local area?
The national roll out of Connect 5 led by RSPH has come to an end and going forward any further Connect 5 training opportunities are determined by the local needs in each area.
Please contact your local Health Education England for more details.