Understanding and responding to gambling harms: A brief guide for professionals
This free online learning course has been developed in collaboration GambleAware. Our online course will provide useful guidance for people who want to provide brief interventions to address risks and harms related to gambling disorders.
The course also contains an optional topic for organisational leaders wishing to set up and implement the processes necessary to support their employees to provide intervention in the workplace.
The course covers:
- Introduction to gambling disorders
- What is a brief intervention?
- How to provide a brief intervention
- Important considerations and responding to affected others
- Getting your organisation ready (optional)
This free online course aims to help people to understand and identify risks and harms related to gambling disorders, and equip them to provide brief interventions to help address these harms. Additionally, it is a resource to assist organisational leaders in planning for the integration of brief intervention for gambling harms into their services.
The programme is aimed at professionals who do not specialise in the treatment of gambling disorder and may be most suitable to those working in social and criminal justice settings. Examples of these roles include social workers, employment advisers, GPs, psychologists, probation officers.
This online course is available for free and provides learners with a Completion Certificate and 3 CPD points.
The course is accessible through RSPH Learn, our LMS platform. In order to access the platform you must first set up an account for My RSPH, or login if you are already registered. Once you are logged in to My RSPH you can enrol on the course through the course catalogue in My RSPH.
This online course is split into five topics, with revision quizzes to test your knowledge. It can be paused and restarted whenever you like, and you have six months to complete the course. The entire course involves roughly three hours of study.
24/7 Access via the RSPH Learn LMS
All RSPH online courses are accessed through RSPH Learn, our online learning platform, which can be used across all devices.
The course is split into five key sections - with interactive elements to maintain your attention and make learning easier. At the end of each section, you'll find a Revision Quiz to help boost your learning.
Topic 1: Introduction to Gambling Disorder
- What gambling is
- Gambling statistics
- What Gambling Disorder is and the impact it can have
- The possible signs of Gambling Disorder to look out for
Topic 2: What is a brief intervention?
- Definitions of brief intervention
- Information about brief interventions
- Why we should offer brief interventions
- Research into the effectiveness of brief interventions
Topic 3: How to Provide a Brief Intervention
- Screening as a basis for intervention
- Preparing for brief intervention
- The knowledge base supporting brief intervention
- Elements of a brief intervention
Topic 4: Important Considerations and Responding to Affected Others
- Cultural considerations and brief intervention
- Overcoming potential barriers
- Resources for family and affected others
Topic 5: Getting your Organisation Ready (optional)
- Project initiation
- Consulting within the organisation
- Project planning
- Ongoing improvement
Once you have completed the course you will receive an electronic RSPH CPD Completion Certificate and 3 CPD points.